Handling Angry and Dissatisfied Customers

When we are in the service of giving or providing for others, I think what is most important is that we ensure that the person we are serving is content and satisfied with our facilities. While the customer may not always be right, it is necessary that we understand where he/she is coming from and give them the space to discuss their issues and concerns, comfortably.

 

If I were to ever face an angry and dissatisfied customer, the first thing I would do is maintain the right mindset. It is essential that I keep a calm tone, address them appropriately and not take their words to heart. As a representative of my organisation, I must know that they are having issues with our service or product and not with me personally. This distinction will ensure that I don’t bring my own emotions in the middle of the conflict and that I am able to think rationally and pragmatically throughout the conversation.

 

Secondly, I would give them a judge-free zone to iterate their troubles and voice their issues. Before I can resolve a concern, I need to ensure that I am actively listening to what they are saying. Moreover, when a person understands that they are being heard with interest and intent by their listener, they are more open to communicate and continue the interaction until it reaches a solid conclusion that suits both parties. This is a definitive way to prevent a customer from being driven away. Therefore, I will paraphrase their sentences to ensure that I understood them correctly and completely and if I am uncertain of something they have shared, I will be sure to ask open-ended questions to assure them that I am trying to know what exactly went wrong.

 

Once their spiel is over, and they have assured me that their issues have been expressed to their satisfaction, the third thing I would focus on is to bring them to a more amenable state. An angry person is often not very receptive to comments or feedback and therefore, it is essential that we bring them to a calmer state where they are more open to hearing comments and suggestions from the listener. One way of doing this is to relate with their situation through empathy and apologise on behalf of my company or institution for the inconvenience. An apology is often the easiest way for the opposite party to be put at ease. Another way could be genuinely complimenting certain aspects such as patience or conviction to make them feel better about themselves or even validating their statements to win their faith and trust .

Once I am sure that the customer has expressed all their troubles and is open to resolution, I will put forth my suggestion and keep it up for discussion. Whether it may be providing the service again, making changes to their current service or something else that best suits their needs, I will take the effort to reach an amicable solution that they agree to and that will also not harm the institution’s brand value or economy.

 

Thus the right approach through good contact techniques, right mindset, and healthy resolution-making will help me resolve a customer’s concerns and ensure that their anger and dissatisfaction is replaced with more faith in the company and contentment with its services.

  

How would you handle an angry and dissatisfied customer? Let me know in the comments below! 

Don't forget to like, share and subscribe

Until then....signing off!
S...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity and Social Change

My Personal Bucket List

Words that Inspire Me