What does Diversity and Inclusion mean for me?

 According to me, diversity refers to the plethora of backgrounds and experiences that people bring to an institution. These experiences can manifest in the form of aspects such as different ethnicities, races, economic and social strata, genders, experience in the work field, education levels, marital status, military service, political affiliation, personalities, skillsets, strengths and weaknesses, demeanours, etc. Each person brings their own ‘diverse’ set of elements across these various aspects which gives rise to varying opinions, emphasis on varied facets during discussions, consideration of different perspectives, etc. Moreover, diversion ensures that the fortes of one participant may make up for the flaws of another and vice versa. These differences are in fact what help make the institution well-rounded. The services and products of a well-rounded institution can, in turn, appeal and attract a larger audience, which is profitable for the institution as well, whether it be a multinational company or an educational organisation such as a university.

Inclusion, on the other hand, in my opinion, refers to the focus on equal opportunity and equal access. This means that despite the ‘diverse’ backgrounds and experiences that people in an institution may have, they will not be wronged through inequalities in pay, opportunity, benefits, privileges, expression of their opinions, etc. It refers to the mutual understanding and respect that exists for the differences amongst individuals and the provision of equal opportunities and access to all. There may be certain inequalities based on level of education, designation, etc. but these will be pragmatic and not targeted against a certain minority. Inclusion prevents discrimination or marginalisation of certain groups and creates a warm, welcoming and safer environment for everyone.

For me, diversity and inclusion are what makes an organisation a global leader. If diversity is a condition, inclusion is the sentiment. The ability to recognise and respect differences and provide these varied aspects a space to grow and contribute, empowers not just the individual but also the institution as a whole. A safe, nurturing environment, free of discrimination and judgment, offers people the chance to give their best shot and thereby contributes to the growth of an organisation. Maintaining these standards is an essential part of good workplace culture and helps tap into the inherent powers and abilities of even historically disadvantaged groups. Thus, diversity and inclusion embraces the variety in humans and ensures that these varieties are unified under a common roof for the betterment of humanity.

In my daily life, I focus on inclusion in numerous aspects. One method is through mindfulness in my communication. When I talk to friends about their routine issues, I try to understand where they are coming from rather than judging them on the basis of my knowledge of their persona. When I meet new people or talk to strangers on the Crisis Text Line platform, I don’t assume genders or sexual orientation. I pay attention to what pronouns they use for themselves, before addressing them as he/she/they/ any other word they may find suitable. If I am unsure, I ask them how they should be addressed.

While working with diverse teams in clubs and student organisations, I do my best to respect other people’s sentiments and views. I ensure that I don’t force my perspectives or opinions on others when discussing conflicting issues. People have numerous reasons why they think a certain way and I respect that wholeheartedly. Even as the President of a cultural club (Indian Student Association), in April 2021, I welcomed ideas that incorporated multicultural exchanges, such as our multicultural professor panel where we invited faculty from different ethnicities and backgrounds to discuss the impact their individual cultures as well as their diverse student populations had on their teaching experience in the classroom. We also focused on expanding our cultural events connected to India or Hinduism to the entire college community, irrespective of our differences.

Additionally, in my personal life, I try to avoid stereotyping certain sects of people on the basis of religion or otherwise, before getting to know them personally. I also recognise that I may have certain privileges that the people around me don’t as a result of varied upbringing or backgrounds. I recognise that certain people are a certain way not always because of their personal choices. Some situations are beyond their control and these shape them in a specific way.  I try to be open-minded and liberal in my interactions with others to ensure that I promote inclusivity in some form in my daily life, because I recognise the value that these differences can add to my life and I most certainly want to have that exposure to create a fulfilling global experience even in the ambit of my small world.

 

What does Diversity and Inclusion mean to you? Let me know in the comments below! 

Don't forget to like, share and subscribe

Until then....signing off!
S...

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity and Social Change

My Personal Bucket List

Words that Inspire Me