A Farewell Note - Thoughts when I left School

Every student in school hates their school the most. Guess what? Every student who leaves school misses it the most. A few years ago, I was on the other side of the table, but today as an alumnus from this school, I certainly feel that way. A single walk from the reception to the bus stand is enough to fill my mind with buzzing memories. Every single word, every single emotion, even every single scolding that the place has ever witnessed comes flooding back to me. The things I might have regretted doing at school –volunteering, compulsory attendance at Dnaynostav or even having to walk in straight lines during dispersal—I can’t help but missing them the most right now. 

I joined Omkar International School in grade 2. I still remember the first day. I stood like a clueless newbie, and I was distinctly frightened. I began crying and it was Gautami Miss who took me to my classroom. My journey began that day, and even after 10 years, that day is still the closest to my heart. It’s been a long ride making friends, learning new things, suffering downfalls, standing up and finally emerging victorious. But the setbacks have been worth the path and the path has been worth the success. 

10 years is a long time and everyone changed over the years. From being innocent little children, we have all shed our baby skins and grown up into sophisticated, resolute and determined teenagers. We have heard this from every teacher –“Tum log fifth sixth mai aise nahi the” but at that age we had formed this notion that we had conquered the world. Frankly, it’s always easy to be the master when you are inside the den. We had not even taken one step in the outside world to have known any better. 

From the first day in school to the last and now two years after that, it’s been a long way and I have come so far thanks to the blessings of my dear principal and teachers. They owe the biggest thank you and the first token of gratitude for bringing not just me, but all my fellow mates till this milestone. Be it my first day or my last, they have always been there and I know they will be there in the future too. 

When we began school, I know none of us knew that Parvathy Miss could tell us so many stories and still complete our syllabus on time and we surely did not know that chemistry would be so simple with Jayashree Miss or that Maths wasn’t as difficult in Gautami Miss and Anita Miss’ class. Those life lessons that were shared between chapters by Rohini Miss and Shankar Sir and quick bits of comedy and at times lame jokes we had between lectures in Ajinkya Sir’s class. Those small pieces of home care tips that Seema Miss gave. Those smiles we shared, scoldings we had for our mistakes and the knowledge we earned in Ritika Miss’s class. Every moment has been special and unique. Every moment is close to my heart. 

And like the teachers, even our beloved founder, Darshana Madam and our principals; Archana Madam, Aparna Madam and Anuja Madam deserve a very big thank you. The numerous times I have been awarded medals and certificates, the inspirational and encouraging pats on my back each time, with the same happiness and patience and every word of appreciation and motivation that gave me something to look up to and fuel another achievement. I owe it to them and their constant backing. In the end, every person wants appreciation for what they have achieved and Omkar never ceases to applaud its students for their accomplishments. 

Amongst the several things that I have received here, I am most grateful for the widespread platform that Omkar has always given me. From performing in multiple activities in the annual gathering to preparing me for giving last minute speeches to providing me the opportunities of participating in competitions and exams at national and international levels, Omkar has never limited a student’s capacities and potential. It has helped me learn that standing before an audience of 5000 people is not a moment of fear that you have to live up to their expectations, but a moment of pride, that you are deserve to be there. It’s a different experience being a part of an institution that has stretched far and wide to give its students all the opportunities it possibly can and I am most grateful for this. So, with so many years passed, how do we measure this time spent in school? In the beginning we measured it in assessments and exams, then probably class periods, desperate to hear the dispersal bell ring. Then it was measured in hours and finally we started counting down the days, some happily, some sadly, to the eventual days of freedom from “school”. But today, now that my school life has already ended, I feel that it will be counted mainly in the friendships we had and the memories we made. The secrets we shared, the laughs we had, the tears we shed, the hearts we broke, but most notably the fun we all had with each other and all our teachers. These are the golden moments of life that every person lives for. 

In these two years, I have learnt one very fundamental thing—the true value of school life. When I stepped out of school, in a moment all the awe that I had ever received for my accomplishments vanished into thin air. In the outside world, I was a no body. They did not know that Sanjana Butala had stood first in every exam at school, or that I had won innumerable gold medals and trophies in a variety of competitions and exams. All of this was past for them and I had to build up my persona once again. It was difficult, undoubtedly and even difficult to digest and it was then that I realized that back in school, under the love and care of our teachers, we never realize how life in the outside world can be. Life starts all over again when the first monsoon in college, showers upon you.

I have learnt so much in school and these lessons extend far beyond the classroom. I think the most imperative thing I have carried with me after leaving the school is these innumerable life lessons. School taught me that hard work always pays off. The more you put in the more you get back. Persistence is the key to all our dreams. My tenth grade is a testimony to that. Life started with juggling between studies, assignments and activities in school but it does not stop with the end of school. Omkar prepared me for this juggling act that life holds within itself. Outside of school, there is no comfort zone where you can cuddle up and hide. You have to face the real world. Understanding the consequences of our actions and standing up to them becomes very essential. It is equally vital to never compromise our commitment to excellence. 

I may have held grudges against students in the past, or had arguments with my peers. But at the end of the day, I think I have learnt that what matters is forgiving and moving on. This is the most significant lesson that school has given me, especially since life is all about that—moving on. 

I did not cry on my farewell day or even on the last board exam. The heaviness of leaving school came upon me when I joined college for the first time. The hardest part about moving on in life is leaving memories behind and when I entered college, I felt like I had left behind a huge chunk of me—I had left behind a family. I may be an ex-student of Omkar International School, but that goes not without saying that I will always be an Omkarian. 

Grade 10 - 2017

P.S. I wrote this for my magazine, two years after graduating, as an alumnus. 

What were your thoughts when you left school? Let me know in the comments below!

Don't forget to like, share and subscribe
Until then....signing off!
S...

 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity and Social Change

My Personal Bucket List

Words that Inspire Me