A Heart to Heart Conversation on the Importance of Voting

I have never been quite too keen on learning about voting, politics, rights and responsibilities or anything related to democracy as a whole. However, now I feel embarrassed to reiterate this, specifically after the amount of learning I received at a session I attended a few months back. I realized the gravity  of being a voter in this session. 

Every vote counts,  and so does the person we vote for. This session taught me that we must be responsible enough as citizens of the United States of America , to be cognizant of not just who we are voting for,  but also what we stand for when we support these people. Voting is a right, and responsibility,  and the greatest power of democracy. Therefore, making informed decisions when electing our representatives is a moral obligation at the federal..., state and local elections. Through the conversation, I acquired more information about voting districts, State elections, the people who are representing me in the state legislatures,  as well as resources  to learn  more about state representatives,  like  ballotpedia and Vote411. One of the speakers discussed  certain bills passed in a certain session in Trenton that affect me and my loved ones,  but  I never tried to learn more about such decisions. All this information will definitely contribute to my choices when I vote in the near future,  and has  helped me fathom how  the lack of information on a citizen’s part can become a threat to the country’s progress.   

The panellists had loads of knowledge and  experiences regarding  the significance of civic engagement. They made me understand that democracy and politics are topics for families to discuss at  the dinner table,  and as a community at places of worship, schools and public places.  These topics are not meant for shunning  off  as topics of disgust or boredom. Many people may not appreciate democracy,  and prefer a dictatorship perhaps because they like being directed and dominated. Thus, discussing these issues is even more crucial to enlighten others about the importance of voting and being a responsible citizen. The conversation emphasised the necessity to know what issues the government we elect stands for,  and whether their stances  are similar to ours. If they are deciding the laws that will affect us, we must exercise our right to choose who will decide those laws. 

Voting has not always been a right granted and accessible to all. It was not always as freely received as today. Hence, justly exercising this power is essential.. Anything related to voting is imperative because every vote counts towards making laws, amendments to the Constitution and deciding how pressing issues will affect the population as a whole. We must vote not just on our behalf, but also on behalf of the people who are unable to vote,  but are being affected by these laws and legislations of the country . Immigration, gun violence, student debt, health services, racial discrimination—these are all pressing issues for which we are responsible. The speakers made me realize that as a voter, I am speaking and standing up for not just myself, but also for my country and everyone else. Voting  is a power granted to me by the Constitution to change the nation and make it a better place.

Women have not always  had the right to vote,  and next year we are celebrating 100 years of women suffrage. I feel honored  to know that I reside in a state that had formerly recognised the women’s right to vote, prior to 1920. On the occasion of the centennial celebration, I pledge that as a woman myself, I will be a responsible voter aware of the implications of my vote,  and that I will exercise this ability to vote dutifully. I pledge to contribute to improving  this country and vote for the people who are true advocates for  a better future.


Have you voted before? Let me know in the comments below!

Don't forget to like, share and subscribe

Until then....signing off!
S...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity and Social Change

My Personal Bucket List

Words that Inspire Me