Ethical Considerations of Cosmetic Surgery: What I Have to Say


In my last post, I talked about how I have always wanted to be a cosmetic surgeon. Some people have often argued that this is a very controversial field in medicine. So I did some research on some of the most pressing ethical leadership challenges facing those serving in this career field today. Here is my take on how I believe I would exercise positive leadership to combat this challenge. 

Cosmetic surgery is a defined niche in the medical field, but it is one such clinical field that has eternally faced a morally gray area - the extent to which beauty should be a product of medical reconstructive practices. Many argue that birth defects and genetic deformations ought to be corrected to ensure normal human life but aesthetic enhancements for pleasure should not be encouraged beyond a certain degree. But, how much is too much? With the increasing popularity of cosmetic surgery, leading surgeons are faced with a major ethical challenge between regulating their patients' demands and being strayed away by the lucrative power of such surgical operations. As a future aspirant of this field, I believe that the question is not of money nor of the patient's requirements. Physical enhancements in otherwise healthy patients is more of a matter of informed consent. Doctors are responsible for meeting their patients demands and should therefore indulge in reconstructive practices if the patient so desires. What is important is speaking to the patient and explaining why certain practices are or are not advised. As a positive leader, I feel doctors should respect human choice to look a certain way and not lure them towards excessive enhancements nor reject their demands by citing ethical issues. Doctors ought to provide religious medical advice and as long as they pertain to these standards of health, people's decision of undertaking cosmetic surgery is a matter of personal choice and not a moral dilemma.


What do you think about these considerations? Let me Know in the comments below. 
Don't forget to like, share and subscribe
Until then....signing off!
S...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identity and Social Change

My Personal Bucket List

Words that Inspire Me